Monday, January 9, 2012

37 Weeks, 5 Days - Part Two

The following day, Friday, I was walking/waddling around the neighborhood with the dog when my phone rang.   It was my OB's office.  I answered the phone, but the signal was spotty and I could barely hear the doctor.  I hung up and tried calling back, but I could not get signal for my phone.  It would have to wait until I returned home.

My instinct told me that my Cholestasis test results were positive.  I tried not to get ahead of myself.  "Positive or negative, just keep taking this one step at a time", I told myself.

Safely home, I called my OB's office and hoped someone would answer as it was nearly 6:00 in the evening.  The secretary answered and said the doctor would be right with me.  The doctor was on the line about 30 seconds later.  She said that I had tested positive for Cholestasis, that she had scheduled a non-stress test for me first thing the following morning, and that the doctor from the practice who would be there  would help us determine when I would be induced, but I would definitely be induced within the week.  I asked questions calmly which she answered calmly.  Then I thanked her and hung up the phone.

I called my husband at work, but he didn't answer his phone.  I left a message to please call me.

We had hired labor doulas who work as a team.  I called my primary doula (Maria 1) and left a message on her cell phone apprising her of the situation and asking that she call me.  Then I called the other doula (Maria 2) who, thanks to all that is holy, answered her phone.  I told her what was happening.  She was very supportive and answered questions I had.  She also told me that Maria 1 was on a bus to Pennsylvania to visit with family, but would be back Sunday night. Maria 2 also told me that she had 2 other moms-to-be who were 40 and 41 weeks pregnant and it was likely that she would be called to a birth tomorrow or Sunday.  If that were to happen then the back-up doula, Cate, would come. We said that we would talk after the non-stress test tomorrow.

After I got off the phone with Maria 2, I called my husband, again. He answered and I explained what was happening. He was stunned and asked me to wait a second while he found a more private place to sit and talk. Then I explained again and he said he was heading home right away. I told him that everything that could be done at the moment was being done and all arrangements that could be taken care of were taken care of.  All we could do was try to relax and enjoy the quiet time before the baby arrived. He seemed to calm a little, but said he was still heading home right away.

While waiting for him to come home, I called my friend Brenna and made arrangements for her to care for the dog the next day while we were at the non-stress test, just in case they decided to induce right away. I also called my boss because I was supposed to work the next day and then again on Monday. I let her know what was happening and she told me not to come to work either day and that she wished me well.

Brad got home and he and I took the dog for a walk, went to dinner at our favorite diner, packed in case we need to stay at the hospital the next day, watched t.v. and chit chatted before bed. We also put the car seat and car seat manual in the trunk of the car so that at least we would have it with us if I was induced. Remember, I thought I had another 2 and 1/2 weeks to prepare.

We were so excited to meet the baby. We just wished for a healthy baby, healthy mom, and were grateful that though baby would be early at least she would be "full-term".

To be continued...

For more info. on Cholestasis: