Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Why?

My husband and I attended a party this weekend and I spent much of it with the youngster's of our friends. The babies, a 3 month old and a 3 week old, were wonderful and when they weren't I just sang them Beatles tunes (Blackbird, Hey Jude, Golden Slumbers) and they calmed.

The two and a half year old, Alex, was a whole different story. He is going through the "Why?" phase. Why do we have to go inside? Why is the doggie running? Why do grapes grow on a stem? Why is it getting colder outside? Why do people have signs on their lawn? Why does the sun go down?

You get the idea.

I think I came up with pretty creative, accurate, and age appropriate answers. He really gave my brain a workout and challenged me to raise my consciousness. It left me wondering why, as adults, do we stop asking "why"?

Ponder that and post your answers in the comments, please.

"Why?" you ask. Well, 1) I asked nicely and 2)who couldn't use a raising of their consciousness?

3 comments:

  1. You must be in demand at parties, keeping all the babies happy! I think that the questioning becomes conditioned out of us by our tired (of answering questions) parents! In adulthood, its up to the individual to decide if they are happy with their current state of knowledge or if they want to keep on learning and growing. I think its a maturity thing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not related to the why question but rather to your other post. Blogger can restore posts, as a similar thing happened to me last year. I had to email them and ask really nicely. They did eventually restore them, but it took a few weeks. Those posts used to be part of the k1 teacher blog but now are just separate. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never have stopped asking why and I drive everyone nuts! Maybe that's why adults stopped asking why. No one wants to hear my 'why'.

    ReplyDelete

“Learning without thought is labor lost; and thought without learning is perilous.” - Confucious