Wednesday, June 8, 2011

37 Weeks, 5 Days

That is how far along I was when Abigail was born.

I always had a feeling that she would arrive early, but of her own volition.  I also thought she would be here maybe a week before her estimated due date, but no more. So, I was surprised to meet Abigail at 37 weeks, 5 days gestation.  I was delighted with her, thrilled to meet her, and so thankful that she was healthy and strong and safe.  I hoped that some day Abigail would understand that her early birth was necessary for her safety and for mine, that we made the difficult and informed decision to induce because she would be safer on the outside than on the inside, that the decision was made out of overwhelming, boundless love for her.

I am getting ahead of myself though.

From the time that we decided to open ourselves up to bringing a baby into the world, we took everything as it came (we still take things as they come).  We were very relaxed leading up to and throughout the pregnancy.

I had pregnancy gingivitis.  So, I kept brushing and flossing as directed by my dentist.

I was diagnosed with anemia of pregnancy.  So, I took two iron pills in addition to prenatal vitamins.

At my 37 week OBGYN appointment, I casually mentioned that I had been incredibly itchy all over my body a few days prior, but after a good lathering in cream it passed.  I told her I chalked it up to normal pregnancy itching as skin stretched, but I thought I should mention it any way.  She asked if the palms of my hands and soles of my feet were/had been itchy.  I repeated that EVERYTHING had been itchy, but it passed.  She told me that I might have Cholestasis of pregnancy.  There was a very small chance, but it is a condition that can be dangerous to mom and baby, sometimes ending in "fetal demise"  In order to rule it out, I just had to give a vile of blood.   She reiterated that it was VERY UNLIKELY that I had it as only 1 in 1,000 women develop it.  I said that I agreed it was best to rule it out just to know for sure.  So, I stopped at the in office lab and they took my blood. They told me I would hear from the doctor regarding the results in a few days. I made my regular weekly OB appointment for the next week and headed home.

I wasn't worried.  I probably didn't have it, but if I did have it at least we would know and be able to take the next necessary steps.

It was Thursday and I was 37 weeks, 1 day pregnant.
***

To be continued....

For more info. on Cholestasis: itchymoms.com

3 comments:

“Learning without thought is labor lost; and thought without learning is perilous.” - Confucious